Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Giacometti At The Planetarium, Maybe


Other than Sunday night's moonrise I haven't been out shooting much.  So, I need to pick through recent inventory.  That's our planetarium (a pretty cool place). When I was driving around Forest Park looking for material, I found this sculpture, perhaps three times life size, outside the entrance. I didn't see any identifying information around it or on the web site but it sure looks like the work of Alberto Giacometti, right down to the oversized feet. Like the mission of the planetarium, the figure looks to the heavens and even seems to be stretching toward them. Appropriate, although it looks uncomfortable.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Uncomfortable, yes. He's going to have a stiff neck. I do like it though.

Jack said...

I wonder if it is a real Giacometti. I read a book about him once. Odd guy. Most of his works are quite small. He couldn't stop himself from working on them so that they became smaller and smaller and smaller. Still, a fun shot for you.

Bill said...

Nice composition, Bob! I agree with you, he does seem to the looking toward the heavens. It would make sense with the planetarium in the background. I like the planetarium building with the blue sky and white clouds, it very futuristic looking.

William Kendall said...

The sculpture and the planetarium seem to suit each other.