Wednesday, November 1, 2017

City Daily Photo November Theme Day: Rock 'n' Roll


I finally remembered a City Daily Photo theme day but had to go back into the archives for material. Above, St. Louis' late, great Chuck Berry, performing in the amphitheater at the Missouri Botanical Garden. No city but ours can claim the father of rock 'n' roll as a native.

The picture below was taken out of the jurisdiction, as Jack says. It's a Kiss tribute band in Calgary, Alberta, at the Stampede's Grandstand show, probably the greatest entertainment spectacular I've ever seen. 

I used to be a rocker. May have seen the Greatful Dead more times than I have fingers. My sister and I went to the second Beatles concert at Shea Stadium in New York. Lots  of shows at the Fillmore East when home for the summer during early college years. And I was at Woodstock. Really. 

Eventually, though, I got bored with it. There was only so much the genre could say. My family was very middle class but my father's boss was a rich man and on the board of the New York Philharmonic. We were exposed to that at an early age (how I remember Leonard Bernstein's Young Peoples Concerts). Now my wife and I subscribe to the superb St. Louis Symphony, three opera companies, and have visited opera and concert halls from Sydney to Berlin. So much more to chew on, not that I mind listening to Sgt. Pepper once in a while.


4 comments:

Sharon said...

Perfect for the theme. At least you had some concert photos in the archives.

William Kendall said...

Your Chuck Berry take is a great shot!

RedPat said...

Great shots, Bob! Woodstock - that's a great memory to have!

Stefan Jansson said...

You win. This must be the best photo for the theme day. I will never get bored with pop and rock music. I find new artists, songs and old ones that I have missed by using Spotify.