Friday, June 16, 2017

Goodbye, Julian. See You Later, Celina.


We usually spend the night in Kansas City, a very nice town, on our way to see Mrs. C's family farther out in Kansas. KC has a good restaurant scene and Julian has become our favorite in recent years. When I was about to make a reservation I saw online that it was closing after the Fourth of July! I quickly made a reservation on Open Table.

I got a call Wednesday night from chef and owner Celina Tio. Did I know that they had a special menu planned, a five course tasting menu that she prepared when she won on Iron Chef? With wine pairings? No, clueless, but don't cancel our reservation.

OMG, it was heaven. Food and wine that was simple on the surface but oh so subtle as you paid more attention to each course. The highlight was almost inconceivable, lobster shepherd's pie, seen below. We were so glad we stumbled into the occasion.

The last photo is the rare image of Mrs. C and me, along with Celina and the wine guy (never did get his name).  She has another place, The Belfry, that we hope to visit soon. We may be back here in a month.





4 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, I'm watching that Iron Chef series she's in right now. I recorded them all when I saw they were on. This sounds fantastic.

William Kendall said...

A lobster shepherd's pie is a first to me.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Sounds delish Bob a real treat! I love having a couple of places where they get to know you when you go in regularly!

Stefan Jansson said...

Glad you enjoyed the food.