Friday, August 5, 2016

Valiant


The now-defunct Plymouth division of Chrysler Corporation had a popular model called the Valiant from 1960 to 1976. It was well-made and Chrysler sold a lot of them. This antique, in excellent condition, was parked across the street the boots in Wednesday's picture. Haven't seen one in a long, long time.
As the Wikipedia article in the link above mentions, in 1976 Chrysler replaced the Valiant with a new model called the Volare (to fly in Italian). It was a piece of junk by comparison and nearly put Chrysler out of business. We know. Mrs. C and I bought one.                   

6 comments:

Bill said...

That was my first car ever. It was a 1964 and I bought it in 1973. It had an automatic transmission with push buttons. It was cheap and had numerous dents in it but what do you expect for a first car :)

Halcyon said...

Looks like a land yacht/gas guzzler to me... but I suppose that's how they all were back in the 1970s. ;-)

Donk said...

Did your Volare suffer from stalling at stop lights and during turns?

William Kendall said...

I can't recall ever hearing of the Volaire, but I have heard of Valiants.

Paul in Powell River said...

Ah yes, the slant-6 push-button automatic. A friend had one we nick-named "Prince"

Jack said...

God, this brings memories back. My first car was a $250 used Valiant bought in 1967. I had a summer job in Washington, DC, as an intern for a Congressman. It was cheaper to buy the car than to pay round trip airfare. The thing had a push button transmission, if you can believe that. It lasted three years. Got my money's worth, and in those days I had no pride.