Saturday, July 5, 2014

Local Traditions

4th of July In Webster Groves 2014 2

With the big regional fair stuffed uncomfortably into Forest Park this year, Mrs. C and I did the Fourth in Webster Groves, the town where we live. About 23,000 people, just a bit outside the limits of the City of St. Louis proper. Economically, ethnically and racially mixed with a strong sense of community and a certain charm.

It's surprising that I ended up here. When I was in high school in The Bronx ages ago, the Jesuits showed a CBS News special called 16 In Webster Groves as a discussion topic. It was sort of an exposé of the shallow lives of middle class suburban teenagers, Quelle horreur! But there must have been a shaft of light beamed at my head that was invisible to me. Here I am.

So, some scenes from the town holiday parade, something that's been going on for decades and decades. I got some pretty damn good pix of the local fireworks last night, IMHO, but there will be more of this, too.
                             
4th of July In Webster Groves 2014 3

4th of July In Webster Groves 2014 1

4th of July In Webster Groves 2014 4

9 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Now there's the good old USA! Happy holiday weekend!

Stefan Jansson said...

You sure do know how to celebrate! Great photos all around.

Birdman said...

Small time life= America. You look to have captured a bit of it here.

Birdman said...

"town life" that is

Luis Gomez said...

Great set of images Bob.

Jack said...

Very nice parade photos, Bob. I have lived in suburbs for most of my life, and I consider myself lucky. No hand-wringing for me! Others should be so lucky as to live in West Hartford (65,000 fortunate souls) and Naples (impossible to count because it varies greatly by month).

cieldequimper said...

Great photos. I want that star.

William Kendall said...

Marvelous shots! Looks like people were quite happy to be out there.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm a big fan of tradition Bob, this looks like a wonderful community affair, the best kind of tradition.