Friday, December 13, 2013

Trial And Error

Old Courthouse 2012-12-07 1

This is what we call the Old Courthouse. It's been seen in these pages many times before but rarely from this angle. You can spot it in the  left mid-ground of yesterday's picture.

In the 1850's, the building was the venue for what we call the Dred Scott case. The decision on the final appeal is widely considered the worst decision in the history of the U. S. Supreme Court (although there are many competitors). If you would like to find out why click here.                   

10 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Yes I'd like to but I'll have to come back because I need to get myself off to work.

The building looks like a model seen from above!

Olivier said...

beau b&w, qui fait bien ressortir le batiment En effet la mairie a un 'petit' cote "Metropolitan Opera", il ne manque que NYC autour ;)

William Kendall said...

I know the Dred Scott case quite well as it falls under my area of interest but I did not know it took place in that courthouse in part. It is a beautiful building.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Dred Scott is indeed evidence of how the passage of time demonstrates how wrong the Supreme Court can be. Plessy v. Ferguson is another. In my opinion, it is not too soon to look back and say Citizens United and last term's decision on the Voting Rights acts are other examples.

Sharon said...

I like this point of view!

TheChieftess said...

Some pretty dramatic history! Hopefully the cases heard these days have dramatically different results...

Unknown said...

Fabulous POV, Bob!

Norma said...

The Arch trams...*groan!*

I used to be able to go to the top...until I became so claustrophobic I can't tolerate anything even slightly confining....

Jack said...

Terrific! Black and white works here.

Petrea Burchard said...

I love your aerial shots! The transformation of St. Louis will be exciting.