Monday, September 9, 2013

Con Pasión y Calor


The annual Hispanic Festival gives me a chance to show my skills in the Spanish language or Google Translate. You choose. Things were picking up at the festival when I went by Saturday afternoon, along with the temperature.

What do Mexican and Polish popular music have in common? They got 2/4 time down pat, ranchero music as foot-stomping as polka. This band was great. Usually there would be a lot of people dancing in the little plaza in front of the stage but it was just too hot for that. Only mad dogs, Englishmen and Irish-Polish-American photographers go out in the midday sun.                  

Hispanic Festival 2013-09-07 2

Hispanic Festival 2013-09-07 5


Madeleine Mondays

Madeleine 2013-09-07 1

Some readers requested a Monday Madeleine series featuring pictures of my granddaughter, now 20 days old. Well, she's only the  tiniest fleck of St. Louis so I didn't think it was appropriate for lead pictures. But why not a secondary feature? So any Monday when I've got something new worth publishing you will find her on the blog.

Here she is with mom over the weekend, getting much-deserved affection and foaming at the mouth a bit. 

12 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

It is good to see Hispanic culture being celebrated. In the 1960's St. Louis had a mayor named Alphonso Juan Cervantes. One of his civic projects was to have the Spanish Pavilion at the 1964 New York World's Fair shipped in pieces to St. Louis when the Fair was done, and rebuilt downtown, just north of the Stadium. I don't know what happened to it. I think it lost money, whatever it was supposed to be used for.

cieldequimper said...

Now I'm wanting to dance. I might even do it like a fairy around Madeleine.

Olivier said...

elle est belle et très mignonne...elle me fait craquer...

Bob Crowe said...

The Spanish Pavilion was still around when I showed up at SLU in 1967. Not sure what was in it then since it was unquestionably out of my budget. Cervantes wanted to put an aquarium in it to draw more traffic, a plan that was met with derision. It eventually closed but then became the low-rise western part of what is now the Hilton At The Ballpark at Market and Broadway.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

So its still really hot Bob, shouldn't it be cooling down a bit? So thrilled, now we have Madeleine Monday AND Arch Thursday to look forward to. She is a little darling, love those bubbles :)

Sharon said...

Congratulations on the beautiful grand-baby. She is a beauty!

William Kendall said...

Excellent portrait shots, Bob, and Madeleine's a sweetie!

Jack said...

Nice image of the keyboardist. And, of course, I love the Madeleine photo. I endorse the idea of Madeleine Monday.

Nathalie H.D. said...

I'm all for the Madeleine Monday project. She's getting more beautiful every day - or is your photographic skills around babies improving ? ;)

Nathalie H.D. said...

PS - sorry that I haven't visited in a while. I've gone back to all the posts I've missed (including your first photos of sweet Madeleine) and I wish I had the time to comment them all. I enjoy your photography more than ever. As far as I'm concerned, I've just enrolled in an oil-painting class, something I've been meaning to do for a long time. I wonder whether painting will become my new passion or whether I'll gladly return to photography after this dreadful attempt. I'll keep you posted !

Stefan Jansson said...

Festivals are always fun.

Virginia said...

Smoochie smooces to Madeleine!!
V