Thursday, December 30, 2010

From The Lower West Side

.
From the Highline 4

Back home now. A little more from NYC while I get some new local material. A tiny, urban-sized ice skating rink sat beneath The Highline in what is still known as the Meatpacking District of Manhattan. Few people were on it but this young woman had an obvious talent for figure skating. Carolyn, Conrad and I enjoyed the way she flung her hair behind her in a spin.

We passed a compact neighborhood store as we walked back toward the train station. This is now an upscale area and little luxuries abound. The flowers for sale in front were a riot of color. When I started to edit the photo, I thought that the colors were out of control, harsh, too bright and simple. I like this B&W version better, with its focus on shape and texture.


Neibhorhood Shop, Meatpacking District BW

6 comments:

Olivier said...

belle première photo en mouvement.

cieldequimper said...

I'm always amazed at the array of flowers in... December. The first shot is like a love scene without the lover.

brattcat said...

i love ny.

Shannon said...

Hi from a STL to NYC transplant! Hope you are enjoying your stay! What did you think of the blizzard? I was supposed to get home on the 26th but was stuck in STL until the 28th.

Julie said...

The first shot is so full of passion and movement. Just terrific.

Now, not so sure about the flowers. There are so many shapes and sizes, yet without sufficient repetition. Sort of a free-form circular shape. I think I would have plumped for the colour. Do you have it lurking somewhere?

T. Becque said...

Loving the b&w!