Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Idiotarod, Part 2

.
Saturday brought the open division of the Idiotarod to downtown St. Louis. There were 23 teams of two-footed dogs, shopping cart sleds and wild-eyed mushers. Unlike Friday, I had time to follow some of them around to a few of the ten required stops in the downtown area. There was some little stunt they had to perform at each one, like roll a frame at Flamingo Bowl. I'm not sure how all this was to be carried out since there was no staff at at least two of the checkpoints I passed, the so-called Bunny Statue across from the hockey/basketball arena and Jim Dine's Pinocchio in Citygarden.

It was hard to select the pictures for this post. I've got a growing set on Flickr. I'll probably milk the subject for another day or two.


8 comments:

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Reminds me of the Bay to Breakers centipede teams. We all need a chance to express our silly side.

cieldequimper said...

When I saw the title of the post, I was expecting to see dogs. Well...

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Fruit of the loom meets Mardi Gras meets the Olympics all on one blog! Love the photos.

Jan
GDP

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Looks like a sense of humor is alive and well in St. Louis.

Virginia said...

I'm LOL at the SPice Girls. Hilarious. THe center portrait if fab too. Milk it B, Milk it!
V

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, what a fun event for a photographer.

brattcat said...

Oh, Bob, you can always be counted on to add a little spice to our days.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Nice, looks like you guys had a beautiful day, too. I'm currently uploading, looking for a post pic. We had ~70 teams of 5! Was crazy.