Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Best Thing That's Happened To Downtown St. Louis Since I Don't Know When

.
The first view of Citygarden, the two square block sculpture and horticultural paradise that opened last week while I was away. It was developed with private funding from The Gateway Foundation, group of civic do-gooders with a rare combination of money and taste. It replaced a couple of bland lawn-covered blocks and contains modern and contemporary sculpture, lush landscape, reflection pools, a cafe and a playful spray plaza. Wading is permitted, even encouraged in all its pools.

Sunday's New York Times swooned about it, although the beginning of the article might make you think that tumbleweed was blowing down Market Street (not so). The Times also provided a helpful interactive graphic if you would like to see more detail.


This is a photo of Eros Bendato (Eros Bound) by Polish sculptor Igor Mitoraj, an artist I must admit I don't know. It was taken in harsh noon light with a point-n-shoot. Time permitting, I'll go back late this afternoon after work with the DSLR and get some better stuff.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I saw the NY Times article and thought about you. I wondered if you would show us some great photos of this place. It sounds like a great space.

Maggid said...

Wow! This is a stunning photo.
Now I'll HAVE to go downtown and check the whole thing out.
Thank you for all your wonderful work.

Olivier said...

superbe statue et bel angle de prise de vue

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

As a former resident of St. Louis, it is nice to see good things happening to downtown. I lived there when the best thing to happen to downtown occurred -- the Cardinals moved downtown in 1965 or so.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Very cool. Definitely something I need to check out next time I'm in town. Which, hey I'm gettin due for. Anyway, I hear Ben Lange is cooking in that cafe.

cieldequimper said...

Somehow this reminds me of Constantine in Rome. Very impressive and I hope you'll show us more of the new paradise!

Patty said...

can't wait to visit, looks lovely, especially like the eros sculpture

Virginia said...

Well as we like to say down here, "DANG, BOB!" That is one great piece of sculpture. Yep, you must go back for more shots of this one. And ..........money AND taste??Holy cow. Aren't you all the lucky ducks. That's not always the case down here. As my mother would say, "All their taste is in their mouth!" HA
V

Catherine VandeVelde said...

Will have to check it out the next time I'm in St. Louis!