Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Western Lands

.
Next to Calvary Cemetery, where Tennessee Williams rests, is Bellefontaine Cemetery. The two of them contain the remains of many people of local note and a few of international stature. Williams and William S. Burroughs top the list.

Burroughs, a native St. Louisan, was a revolutionary writer. His 1959 novel, Naked Lunch, was the last written work prosecuted for obscenity in the U.S. Burroughs won. If you don't know him and are interested, the anthology Word Virus is a perfect introduction. My copy sits by my bedside. It also has a CD of the author reading his work, much of which is hilarious. His satire of Franklin Roosevelt's pre-war administration and battles with the Supreme Court is fall-out-of-your-chair funny and not for the kiddies.

Burroughs is a champion to me but I bet that many people picking up one of his books for the first time would think he's dangerously insane, flagrantly offensive, or both. Well, you pays your money and you takes tour choice.
The Western Lands
is the name of one of his best-known novels (I loved it), the title referring to the ancient Egyptian home of the dead west of the Nile. At least Bill made it west of the Mississippi.

By the way, the object to the right of the stone is a decaying pumpkin with a couple of cigarette butts sticking out of it, probably left by a fan. Burroughs would approve.

WHAT
I NEED TO FIGURE OUT REAL SOON: where the bleep did I put my remote shutter release?

TOMORROW: winter looking down, part 1.


6 comments:

Knoxville Girl said...

catching up on your photos - I do love cemeteries and the history that's - um - buried there.
the Victorians had a civilzed view of cemeteries, treating them as parks. thanks for showing us the last stop for these two great writers. I did enjoy Naked Lunch, and will have to read the Western
Lands.

PJ said...

Generally, I don't pass judgement on the private lives of others but I know that Burroughs shot and killed his common law wife and that he was heavily involved in drug use, including selling. I know it was a different time(regarding drug use) but I've never been compelled to read his work although I've known for some time it has been held in high regard. I think there's a limit as to how far someone should be allowed to go to justify their creativity and for me murder is beyond any acceptable limits. It's interesting that he lived such a long life considering how long he was addicted to morphine.

Virginia said...

Well old Bill was a rounder was he? Bob this is my go to place to find out about a myriad of offbeat artists, writers and musicians. You never let me down!
V

PS Lost remote? Try clapping your hands!HA

Bob Crowe said...

You're all right. Burroughs did kill his common law wife in a drug-laden game of William Tell. Most of his life was unstable, even chaotic. He was a drug addict for years. Then, curiously, he spent his last years in Lawrence, Kansas, clean and very productive.

I don't admire the man, although it would have been interesting to meet and talk to him. I very much admire his work. Can the two be separated? It's up to you.

Anonymous said...

William S Burroughs, a national treasure. This is one of your most fascinating posts and images yet. It's just really appropriate to have this pumpkin-cigarette-tombstone image in mind as I reflect on Burroughs' life and work. Thanks!

PJ said...

If I live my faith then I cannot judge but sometimes, getting to that point, is more about process. You always give me something to think about.