Saturday, December 27, 2008

STL DPB On The Road - Back Home In NYC

.
This is being written late Friday night: flight into La Guardia today arrived early (!); took the Major Degan Expressway up the Bronx side of the Harlem River to look at the new Yankee Stadium (a big traffic mistake); over the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey; then back into Manhattan for a big family dinner at Dos Caminos at 50th Street and Third Avenue, the best Mexican restaurant I've eaten at in a long time. Some of us walked a short distance to Rockefeller Center to see the lights. That's 30 Rock itself in both of these pictures. Like the sign says, this is my New York.

WHAT SMALL INCIDENT HAPPENED ON THE WAY BACK TO THE CAR THAT I SHOULD WRITE A LITTLE STORY ABOUT: several of the group, particularly the teens and twenty-somethings, had to go real bad before the drive back to New Jersey. Since we were walking right by it, my sister suggested we go through the lobby of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. So here were ten of us, trying to look casual, exploring the refined halls of the Waldorf hunting for a place for the kids to pee. I think the embossed luxurious paper towels were worth more than the memory card in my camera. No one questioned our presence.

TOMORROW:
more NYC.

6 comments:

Virginia said...

That BW photo is pretty spectacular. YOu can arrive somewhere and get a fab picture posted faster than any of us. Bravo. You didn't miss a beat. Glad you didn't get bounced out of the Waldorf. Where's the picture of the paper towels??

Victor said...

The Rock is absolutely majestic in B&W. I stayed at the Waldorf when I was about 14 (my dad was in NYC on business and took mom and me). I remember walking to Greenwich Village, was gone a long time and mom was really worried. How far is that anyhow? I don't remember the towels but I do recall it being very very posh and the view from up top was excellent.

Virginia said...

I left a "shopping list" on my blog comments. Looks like you are socked in there. Remember: "Fog can be your friend." :)

Wayne said...

The top shot is quite amazing, even more amazing if you took it without a tripod.

Julie said...

The Rockefeller building photo is quite wonderful. The lighting makes it a very majestic building.

Shutterup-Shutterbug said...

Welcome to my neck of the woods, Bob! Your pic of the Rock is fabulous!! I'm going to have to go and try that one myself just to see if I can do it. LOL Hope you enjoy your stay here.