Sunday, November 9, 2008

Soldiers Memorial - Full View In HDR

.
So this is what the whole building looks like. The statues I've been posting pictures of are on pedestals towards the top of the outside stairs - you can just see one here.

One of the things I especially like about Photomatix is the way you can control the result. It's easy to achieve an image that's painterly as well as eye-catching. The color tones are often the bit-more-than-real typical of color postcards up to the 1960s. Lots of HDRs are screaming crazy (although there is a place for that). Search for HDRs on Flickr. Too many look like the backgrounds on futuristic blow-em-up computer games. I like a little more subtlety.

WHAT I DID YESTERDAY: attended a closing. See below and come back tomorrow.

TOMORROW:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen or used the newer Photoshop CS4 and some of the controls and filters there are amazing without giving that overdone look.

Paintshop pro does a decent job too if you are not blessed with a rich aunt.

Virginia said...

Abe, I need a rich aunt so can buy all this stuff and compete with Bob!!! I like seeing the details and then the whole building. What a lovely memorial. I like your subtle touch. Try not to go absolutely crazy, OK??

Hilda said...

You're right, it does remind me of those old postcards (which always looked to me like hand-painted monochromes). Nice effect though.

Very imposing-looking memorial, like a Greek/Roman temple.

Jilly said...

This Photomatix is fascinating. I particularly like what you did with yesterday's photograph - whatever you did?

And hey, so good to see you!