Tuesday, September 9, 2008

St. Louis Art Fair - Beauty In Pewter

.
It started as it so often does: something visually interesting crosses my path and I stop to check it out. In this case, it was a woman behind an intriguing triangle of curtain who had a warm smile. To one side are tall, elegant pewter containers holding flowers. The woman is identified by a banner in unusual colors, complimenting the curtain. As I so often do, the first words out of my mouth are, "Hi! Would you mind if I took your picture? You look so..." This Janet Miller from Nashville, Tennessee, one of the artists at the fair last weekend. Her work is gorgeous - check it out at her web site. Better still, buy something. The list of art shows she is attending for the rest of the season is here.

WHAT I'M READING:
The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow. It's about the science, the math of randomness and probability theory and their meaning in ordinary daily events. Don't overestimate that "hot streak" at the slot machine.


TOMORROW:
I got to the Art Fair late on the last day and didn't get a lot of pictures. So, we'll go back to the Hispanic Festival with a meditation on adolescent male fantasy and one of the National Football League's worst teams.

2 comments:

Jilly said...

I loved your series before on artists so am looking forward to this one. Yesterday's photo was just fabulous and today's lady looks so relaxed and enjoying herself. Well if she's an artist, then she is fulfilled. Good.

Anonymous said...

This is a super portrait. And I love that vase on the far left - absolutely gorgeous!