Sunday, May 18, 2008

No Visible Means of Support


The Inquiring Photographers of St. Louis run across this all the time at public events: the gigantic American flag, held aloft by the cranes of two big fire department hook and ladder trucks. The flag was at the Arthritis Walk Friday night, as it was a year ago. It's been featured on this blog on other occasions, like here. I like to Photoshop out the cranes and supporting cables, leaving the flag suspended in mid-air, like this picture from last Fourth of July. So I did it again today with images taken at the Walk.

Vote for which of the two you prefer. I like the first one. It's more abstract, although it makes me think of a stingray on hallucinogens. There might be a bit of Magritte in it.

TOMORROW: Black and white (and I don't mean the photo).

6 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

Great shots! That is an awesome flag and looks so good with the blue/white sky! Excellent!

Knoxville Girl said...

When I saw this on the portal, I thought it was maybe parasailing. They are both weird and wonderful. You've lived up to you moniker, Mr Strangetastes. ;-)

iBlowfish said...

After many thought regarding today post, I love picture on the bottom. Its just so 3D and the ripples of old glory made this picture so interesting. One of your best shot IMHO.

Olivier said...

Superbe, j'adore ton ce drapeau dans les airs. très bonne idée.

Great, I love your flag in the air. very good idea.

Anonymous said...

Abstract flag shot with it hanging in mid air like that ;) Nice work.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Wow wow wow wow wow. These are bloody awesome. Bottom one is pretty cool, but I like the distinct highlight on the top one where it caught the sun. Really magestic/weird.