Monday, May 19, 2008

Two Sides of St. Louis







There was a lot going on downtown yesterday. We had the annual Annie Malone Parade. The Annie Malone Children and Family Service Center is a 120 year old institution in the black community. Their annual grand parade is one of the biggest celebrations of African-American society in St. Louis. In addition, the Cardinals were at home, meeting the Tampa Bay Rays in interleague play. As usual, it was a sell out.

As I walked around with my camera, it was interesting to watch the almost exclusively white crowd going to the baseball game and the almost exclusively black crowd watching the parade. This honkie is an equal opportunity photographer.

TOMORROW: The King of DJs

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I especially like the kid in the middle of the top photo!

Olivier said...

des belles photos de fête, j'aime beaucoup celle avec les danseuses et ton choix d'angle sur la première photo.

beautiful photos festive, I love the one with the dancers and your choice of angle on the first photo.

ananda.tashie said...

Very interesting people watching 'with' you - I like seeing people's unfiltered expressions.

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

What about your "melting pot" ?
Is it obsolete ?

Knoxville Girl said...

That top shot with the profiles is so strong! I've seen this kind of exclusivity in other cities too, including Knoxville, then there are other events where everyone comes together.

Anonymous said...

I love your photos. Being a native myself, I can honestly say that this is exactly how st.louis is...sadly